Saturday, January 5, 2013

New Year's Resolutions 2013

   Well, I've had a few days now to sit and reflect on 2012 and attempt to conjure up a list of resolutions for 2013. As with most resolutions, they didn't just pop into my head when I sat down to write. Generally, they are a distillation of a whole host of random thoughts and wishes over the previous few months, things which have slowly grown into some sort of resolve. I have listed
ten of them here, in no particular order: 

And right after that I was born...
1. To see more of the Baker Boys This was the biggest disappointment I had in 2012, that I really saw them less than what I had planned. Not sure if it's a "guy" thing or not but, if it is, it needs to be bucked!

2. To write differently  Last year, one of my resolutions was to write "more". I probably did write more but it was all blogging. This year I want to continue to write but I want to sit down and work on a project, most likely a short story to begin with, and then see where things go from there.

3. To change my vocabulary  There are some words I'd like to use a lot less in the coming year. Beginning with the word "awesome" and including the word "cool". These words and some others just roll off the tongue much too easily, it's almost like they're not even words anymore. In a world full of descriptive language, I think I can do better.

4. To beautify my backyard  Currently, my backyard is an empty canvas. There is so much potential there for beautiful and interesting nooks and crannies.

5. To run a 10K race  This is simply a way of saying that I want to continue to run and that I want to run farther.

6. To do something artistic  This is a holdover from last year's list and something I would still like to accomplish. There is so much creativity in the world and I would really like to be contributing to it.

7. To get physically stronger   Sometimes getting there ahead of the other guy doesn't do you a lot of good if he's that much stronger than you when he does show up. Probably a little bit of upper body work would be in order.

8. To be more financially responsible  This will be difficult because I hate and don't often understand numbers...

9. To have some kind of an idea how all the electronics work  I would really like to know what cable plugs into what port, what each device is called, how to run one device through another and on and on...

10. To be less invisible  I wrote a blog earlier on called "I Am Invisible" in which I described how unremarkable I felt I seemed to people. It would be nice to be the life of the party, tee-hee...


   So that is this year's list. I am not sure just how comprehensive it is but I think it touches on some of the more significant things I'd like to either change or accomplish in the coming year. Of course, change is not something dictated by calendars. At any given time a person's list should be in a state of flux and subject to revision. The important part, I think, is having the ability to constantly self-evaluate. It's often quite easy to make value judgements pertaining to other people, rather than focusing on how your own house might be brought into a clearer semblance of order. This is generally what I attempt to do and, truly, you can only change yourself!
   Wishing you all much love, health and happiness in 2013!!

No comments:

Post a Comment