Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Birthday Boy 2, Bond-age And The Week that Was

   Time stands still for no one and, once a year, it marks its passage all over your (my) wrinkled little head with a birthday celebration.
   Yesterday was the day for me as I celebrated entering my 62 year!
   Late in my fifties I was already over the "sixty" thing and, presently , I am relishing the age I now find myself at. For the most part, my body has not failed me and my mind, when it hasn't slightly wandered, continues to do its thing, somewhat admirably.
   As luck would have it, my birthday this year also fell on a Monday. This is cool because Monday is also one of my three days off during the week, along with Saturday and Sunday. Yes, I have a three-day weekend EVERY SINGLE FREAKIN' WEEKEND! And yet I still have a full working week, hours-wise, so you can imagine what some of my workdays are like.
   My day off offered me the opportunity sit here on my butt and read the odd b-day message on Facebook. It also offered me the chance to do a couple of household chores, folding a little laundry, making the bed and clearing all my crap off the diningroom table so we could actually use it for dinner later on. So that I wouldn't be caught driving with expired plates at some point, I took the opportunity to head to the Service Ontario outlet in Lambeth and purchase a new licence sticker . Took forever to get the odometer reading, I'd done something weird with screen earlier on and had a hard time getting back to the odometer (or I was looking at it all along and just didn't realize it...) After this, a quick trip to the country to pick up my stepsons who were at their dad's place and bring them home.

Not a lot of fun dodging all the water!
   It was a beautiful day and also a scheduled run day so after I picked up the boys it was off to Springbank Park for, essentially, a crappy run! After my victorious 10K run the other day, I was all jacked up to get out there and do a PB in a 5K run. Didn't even come close. In retrospect, I think I hadn't allowed enough recovery time from the 10K---I'm no spring chicken anymore. Started off strong and then just crapped out the rest of the way---LOTS of walking breaks. Oh well, still a great day to be out running, although I DID have to detour many times around lakes of melted snow. But it was melted snow and that was the main thing!
Myself and Bryant, about to dive into b-day cupcakes!
   Later on in the afternoon, it was a quick trip to the beer store and then downtown to pick up my other two sons for supper. On the way back to our place, we stopped at our favourite Thai restaurant and picked up supper.
   After supper----CUPCAKES! And wonderfully decorated ones, at that! If you look hard at the pic, you can see both my and my son, Bryant's, names spelled out, along with our ages. His birthday was a couple of weeks ago but this was his first opportunity to get together with his stepbros and celebrate so cupcakes it was, compliments of an awesome mum, step-mum and wife, Doralyn!
   Ben, my youngest son, needed a ride back to Waterloo after dinner so we basically ate and ran. Dropped Bry off downtown and hit the 401. Not a lot of traffic so made the trip in short time.
My secret identity finally confirmed!
   I was stopped at a set of lights back in London, just a couple of minutes away from home, when I looked down at the odometer. I hardly ever check the odometer but I did this particular time and what I saw there kind of confirmed what I've sorta felt for a long time. That I'm Bond....James Bond! It's a good thing I looked when I did, this was the one and only time my car will ever actually confirm my identity like that!
   So that was kind of the week that was, at least the last two or three days of it. Got pretty spoiled with presents, too---got a pair of dress shoes (long overdue), a cool graphic novel trilogy called "Essex County", running shorts and a shirt to match, a Bobby Orr collector card, a fifty dollar bill, a running jacket and a couple of Running Room gift cards. As you can tell, I am very blessed! 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment