Monday, September 22, 2014

My Apologies

   Last week, as you may be aware, I experimented a touch with the look and feel of Neanderings. At the time, I also asked for feedback as to how people felt about the changes.
   Well, more or less resoundingly, people hated the difference it made to the blog. It apparently caused much confusion and made navigating the site quite difficult.
   Now, from my end of things, it created a whole new blogging experience. It didn't particularly change the creative process but it did make a huge difference in the amount of page views the blog received. 
   The first day of the change, the blog racked up over three hundred page views. Generally, if I get thirty page views a day I'm pretty happy. Three hundred made me ecstatic.
   Here is a pic of what the blog looked like, on my laptop, when I made the change:

    
   Each of those pics represented a blog post and if you clicked on the pic then you automatically opened up the post. Scrolling down gave you access to any post I'd ever written, right back to Neanderings' inception. For me, it was almost hypnotic, jumping about from post to post so easily!
   I can only imagine that some readers out there were seeing more or less the same thing I was and were gallivanting all over the place, investigating. This, then, might account for all the extra page views. Sadly though, not everyone had this experience.
   The "nays" have accumulated over the past week, unanimously, and I have found myself torn between becoming a "page view whore" and wanting to stay true to readers who have always been faithful.
   What it boils down to is this---I started this blog simply because I had the urge to write. At some point, I realized that there were people out there who, for the most part, enjoyed and looked forward to new blog posts. For about a week, a lot of those same people were no longer enjoying the process. As much as I was amazed and enjoying the sudden increased viewership, the idea that those people were suddenly less enchanted slowly became intolerable. For this reason, I have gone back to the old Neanderings. And it kind of feels a little bit like coming home... 
 

2 comments:

  1. i LOOOOOVE that photo of you SO awesome and fun!!! :-) hope you are enjoying some autumn weather and running thru some leaves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina, coming from an an awesome pic person like you that's quite a compliment! It's a picture of me standing on a rocky outcrop at the end of my Granny's beach in Gibsons, B.C., pretty well my favourite spot in the world!

      Delete