Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Roasting Pan

      We cooked a ham for Easter yesterday (actually, it was three hours heating up a ham) and after letting the roasting pan soak overnight, I got around to washing it today.
Our un-pristine pan
   We only use the roasting pan once or twice a year and for the most part it's still pretty pristine. Today, though, after I'd given it a thorough cleansing, it was no longer pristine---you could see where the juice of the meat had seemingly soaked right into it. This is pretty well aligned with any roasting pan I've ever been associated with and it was with a certain sense of nostalgia that the roasting pan today did not come out totally clean. 
   In this way, it is developing a kind of history of its own and every time it gets used the history will become deeper and more varied. Part of what I appreciate about it is the familial aspect. The pan is only brought out when there are gatherings of family and loved ones and it is with some respect that I bring it into the kitchen on these occasions.
Ah yes...the chip
   Almost immediately after we bought it a few few years ago, we noticed a chip in the lid. As it was brand-new, there was some discussion about returning to the store. I remember standing there looking at the chip and, as much as it was a flaw, it was also totally in line with any other porcelain enamel roasting pan I'd ever known---there was always some kind of dent or chip or flaw and the fact that our new roasting pan now had one of those really only endeared it to me, in a funny kind of way. We kept that pan and I'm glad we did. I also look forward to the next time we need to add another thin layer to its history and feed a bunch of us around a family table. 
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment