Monday, July 10, 2017

Tattoo

   For the past few years, I have toyed with the idea of getting a tattoo. I'm not sure why, this late in life, I'd started deliberating on changing my body this way. Some of it, I think, is due to both my wife and sons and brother-in-law having had their own tattoos done and me having enjoyed the results of all these. It seemed creative, almost like writing a poem or something. At any rate, it was something I'd thought about a great deal and last week, finally, I took the plunge.
Sawchuk (and his mask), hard at work.
   In trying to think of what to get as a first tattoo, I found myself torn between something with a literary allusion and something sports-related. These have been my two passions over the years and it only seemed to make sense to choose between them. I finally settled on getting a rendition done of the goalie mask Terry Sawchuk wore back in the fifties and sixties. 
   When I was a boy, Terry Sawchuk was one of my sports heroes. He had a brush-cut the same way that I did and he had a real cool mask. This was back in the days when there were still not a lot of goalies with masks and Terry's made him stand out.
   Sawchuk was also kinda dark and a bit of a loner. To top it all off, he died early and somewhat mysteriously and this only served to cement my fascination with him.
   I went online and found a couple of images of his mask and then made my way to True Love Tattoo, here in London. I had been given a gift certificate for there from my son, Bryant, and Doralyn had chipped in for the rest I would need. I took Bry with me and we set up a consultation date with Will Smink, one of True Love's artists. I showed him a couple of the pics of the mask I'd printed off and we talked briefly about size and placement. He told us that we wouldn't likely be able to get in before September or October. Well, as it turned out, there was a cancellation while we were standing there booking an appointment and we were able to get in the following week! This was very fortuitous as Bry already had an appointment booked for that day and so we would both be there together. This also minimized the time I would have to fret about it come to my senses try and contain my
Will, hard at work!
excitement!

   The day finally came and Will had managed to find a more detailed image of the mask than I'd been able to and I liked it so we sat down, I laid my forearm out for him, and we got started. He applied the stencil, got the photo arranged for his own reference and then got his inks all ready. He took one short swipe on my arm, looked up at me, smiled, and said "You've got a tattoo". At this point, no turning back!
Bryant and I, post tats.
   Shortly after Will started tattooing me, Doralyn showed up. She sat and waited while he worked and it was kind of nice having some conversation (and levity) to pass the time. She asked me if it was hurting and I told her it was somewhat like walking through a bramble bush. Then getting caught in the bramble bush. And then not being able to get out of the bramble bush... Actually, fairly minimal amounts of pain were had but I was quite glad Will was just working on my forearm.
   Bry's tattoo was done before mine and he showed up to watch the final moments. Will declared me "done" and I was mightily pleased with the result! I was a tatted man and
And the finished product! Thanks, Will!
having a hard time believing it!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment