Tuesday, December 7, 2010

"I was there when..."

   As my boys were growing up and becoming a little more interested in sports and sports history there were frequent times when an historic sports moment would be mentioned and quite often I was able to say, "I was watching that game on T.V. when so-and-so broke that such-and-such record!" And I found I was quite proud of being able to say that, for some strange reason. I imagine that in some way it gave me just a little ownership of the actual feat, almost as if the event might not have happened had I not been watching it at the time.
   At some point back then, it occurred to me that way back in the olden days, prior to the mass media explosion, many an oldtimer might have professed to "having been there" at some memorable sporting event (Bobby Thompson's shot heard around the world most immediately comes to mind as an example). That was at a time when you actually had to be there to experience the event at its fullest. These days, you fully experience an event when you view it over and over and from a variety of angles and at different speeds. This is "being there", these days!
   When I am in a sports milieu these days, I am often the oldest one in the group and have had the advantage of having seen many of sports most memorable moments, as they happened. It is not uncommon to be surrounded by younger Toronto Maple Leaf fans these days and be the only one in the group who can say they actually watched the Leafs win the Stanley Cup once!
   The following is a likely incomplete list of some of sports historic moments that I witnessed "as they happened".
Henderson's '72 Series-winning goal
   Need to start off with Henderson's goal in the '72 series. Never have I jumped so high! Headed off on my bike to classes at Western right after that and the world was fine!
   Hank Aaron beating Babe Ruth's all-time homer record. Given the prevalence of steroids in baseball, I think it was the last truly significant home run record.
   Bobby Hull beating The Rocket's record for goals in a season. Phil Esposito beating Bobby Hull's record and then Gretzky beating Espo's.
   Carlton Fisk's "waving the ball fair" home run in the World Series against the Reds.
   Bill Buckner's between the legs gaffe, different World Series.
Buckner's infamous gaffe
   Bob Baun's broken leg O/T goal against the Red Wings (pretty sure I was rooting for the Wings--I was a huge Terry Sawchuk fan!)
   Bobby Orr's flying-through-the-air Cup-winning goal. Even back then it didn't strike me as being overly dramatic, the puck was in the before the trip and the Bruins had a 3-0 series lead anyway.
   U.C.L.A.'s record basketball win streak coming to an end (against Notre Dame?)
   Cowboys-Packers Ice Bowl NFL championship. Watched the game-winning touchdown on a T.V. in black-and-white at Fleetway 40, when it used to be in the Westown Plaza.
   Joe Namath winning a Superbowl.
The "Ice Bowl"
   The "Immaculate Reception"-Franco Harris of the Steelers vs. the Oakland Raiders. These days, there would have been ten different camera angles and we would know for sure just how "Immaculate" it was.
   All three of Secretariat's Triple Crown races.
   Pete Rose breaking Cobb's hits record.
Orr's O/T Cup winner
   Canadiens-Red Army New Year's Eve game. Hell of a game but whatever I was doing home alone in a bachelor apartment on New Year's Eve, I'll never know! (kinda glad I was though)
   Listening to Clay vs. Liston on the radio.
   Borg vs. McEnroe at Wimbledon.
   Being able to say I watched Richard, Howe, Sawchuk and Orr.
  
   Okay, I suspect there are even more and I may make mention of them in future blogs. Good evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment