Sunday, April 8, 2012

Heaven: Part Two

   For the longest time, my own personal view of heaven was a place wherein I would be able to explore whatever reaches of the universe and galaxies I wished, almost instantaneously. I would be able to do this because, having died, I would then be unfettered by earthly bonds and restrictions. This seemed like a wonderful concept to muse on.
John Edward--famous medium
   At some point, though, I became intrigued by watching psychic mediums at work. Their perceived ability to communicate with the dead presented a whole new and different concept of "heaven" then the one I'd developed in my head.
   Suddenly I was presented with a view of the afterlife wherein the dear departed seemed as though they were only a breath away from their loved ones, almost hovering over them. Okay, I thought, if this is what it's really like then maybe that's not too bad of a concept. But I was also presented with a picture of a very busy, hustle-and-bustle kind of heaven where the spirits seem to be restless and eager to connect with their loved ones for a variety of reasons. More than one medium has described spirits as jostling other spirits out of the way, simply to get at their own earthly friends and family.
   This almost strikes me as "heaven, with an agenda" and not really what I had in mind for myself when I pass. The idea of being able to somehow re-connect with your loved ones and reassure them that all is well is fine but when I am in heaven I don't want to have to beat the crap out of the spirit beside me every time one of my family members encounters a medium.
   On top of everything else, who constitutes a "loved one" and will I only encounter "loved ones" in my afterlife? Or will I possibly run into people who hated my guts when we were both alive? Or will my heaven have a population of only one, once I get there?
   In the previous blog, I conjectured on my Dad running into both of his wives in the afterlife and what that would look like. My cousin Carol, after reading that blog, offered up the opinion that perhaps her dad, who has also passed, and my dad would simply go fishing together and leave the two ladies to talk! Hard not to latch onto that image!
   Perhaps heaven is that place where you simply continue to do all the things you loved the best when you were alive. But how soon would we become bored with that, as bizarre as this might sound? Sometimes the things we love the most are loved that way because they seem like islands in the midst of tedium. Part of the enjoyment of these things is in the anticipation of them. I wonder if there would be anticipation in heaven, or even a little pain, to make the pleasure more enjoyable, by contrast.
   I do wonder if my Dad is out there now, just waiting for an opportunity to send a message and hoping that I will have the ability to receive it. I wonder the same about my Mum and a variety of other people who are no longer with us. If they aren't, I don't have a problem with that. If they are exploring the vastness of the universe I really don't have a problem with that either. One of the other theories I have ( wonder where these theories come from...) is that there is not the same concept of time in heaven and that, once you're there, it seems as though we all get there at the same time, with no interminable waiting for your loved ones to arrive. Here on earth, though, it seems like years.
   So, here I sit, just in case, waiting for a message. Or not, if it is not to be, and that is more than okay, as well. At the very least, I feel watched over. Not in a judgemental, nor possibly even in a guiding way but simply in an interested and loving kind of manner. It just seems as if it should be this way.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment