Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Open Letter: Part Three

   Just a little over a week ago, I dropped my first batch of "Open Letters" in the mail. As you might remember, I wrote a blog entitled "Open Letter" a while back, in response to a plethora of charitable agencies who'd all benefited from my late father's generosity and confused and overloaded mind.
   So far, I've had the time and energy to send copies of the letter to six different agencies. I honestly didn't expect a reply. About five days after I sent the letters out, however, I received a phone call from a lady named Irma Haggith-Fonseca, from Mission Services here in London. She felt honour-bound to reply to my letter.
   She began by offering condolences on my Dad's death. She then went on to explain, of course, that they know very little about the people they send their requests to, their age or mental status.
   This was, at least partially, the response I was expecting from an agency, if I received a response at all.
   She did go on, however. She explained that many groups do share lists with other groups once donors have been profiled but that her agency did not. She also added that there is a website you can go to to take people's names, either theirs or your own, off of such lists. She also gave me some advice about submitting tax receipts for my Dad. All in all, quite helpful and hats off to Irma!
   To date, though, hers has been the only response I have received out of the first batch of "open letters" I've sent.
   I do plan on sending out many more, now that handling my Dad's affairs seems to be winding down. Hard to say what the total response might be but simply the fact that one person read the letter and took the time to respond with some positive energy already makes the effort seem worthwhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment