Monday, July 30, 2012

Classic Movies I Have Not Seen

   I hate to admit it but I have not seen "Citizen Kane". It is generally regarded to be on or near the top of the all-time greats list. I couldn't argue this with anyone as I have not seen the movie. I have seen the "Rosebud" scene over and over but never the whole movie or even large chunks of it.
   I also need to add "On The Waterfront" and "From Here To Eternity", although, once again, I have seen the most famous scenes from them. I have only seen bits and pieces of "Raging Bull". "Casablanca" seems to have eluded me as well, somehow or other. It pains me to say I have not seen "To Kill A Mockingbird"either. Being a Canadian, I would like to say that I have seen "Goin' Down The Road", but I haven't, nor have I seen "The Rowdyman".
   In light of all this,  guess I am somewhat illiterate when it comes to the great movies. I have seen lots of great movies though. In my previous blog I refer to many of my favourite British movies. Not on that list would be movies such as "The Graduate", "Jurassic Park", "The Wizard of Oz", "Bonnie and Clyde", "Raiders of the Lost Ark", "Star Wars", "The Godfather" and many, many more. In retrospect, another film which should have been near the top of my British list is "The King's Speech". This film could easily have been near the top of both lists.
   So somehow or other, there are still films for me to see. How to go about doing this is tricky as not all the classics are that easy to find. I will do my best, though it occurs to me that I may soon run out of people to compare notes with who have also seen some of the classics. Doralyn is 15 years younger than me and has had even less opportunity to see some of these movies than I have. It could very well be that someday soon I will have to trundle on down to the nearest retirement home if I want to sit and talk to someone about the great oldies, if they can even remember them. And that's if I don't already live there... 

No comments:

Post a Comment