Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Prayer

   Every now and then, it feels like you should pray. Sometimes you get asked to pray, occasionally someone will offer up a reason for prayer which seems unavoidably worthwhile so you pray. Generally this means that someone is quite ill or is facing very dire circumstances. Because we are all so interconnected these days, quite often many people end up praying, more or less at the same time and for the same reason.
   The interesting thing to consider is what prayer means to each individual doing the praying and how the process of prayer might differ from person to person.
   I am not a religious person by any means and yet I still believe prayer is a worthwhile thing. Prayer, for me, consists of stopping what I'm doing and simply concentrating on whatever needs tending to at the time. I am not directing my prayer anywhere but right straight to the person or thing that needs it at the moment. There is no communion with a god, I am not sending my prayer off to a supreme being and asking him or her to consider it. No, I send it right to where it is needed the most. As far as I know.
   I tend to believe there is some power in prayer. I believe this because I think we've all dipped into the same energy that was created billions of years ago when the universe was created. That same energy is still around, in one form or another and we all belong to it. I believe this more for the sheer physics of it than anything. That is why I think it doesn't hurt to try and send some healing energy one way or the other. Now, I didn't have a guru tell me any of this, it is simply my own personal belief. That I just foisted on you...
   You can pray in the car, you can pray in the bathroom, you can pray at the end of the team bench, you can pray at the foot of your own bed just before you crawl in. You can use the conventional "clasped hands" prayer method or you can fold them behind your head while you're lying there in the hammock. You can pray and brush your teeth at the same time. Pray to a god or to no god in particular. Pray a lot or pray a little. Don't pray at all, if you don't believe in prayer. Do a good deed for someone who needs it. You wouldn't need to call it a prayer...but it almost is.
  
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment