Friday, September 14, 2012

Credentials

  
   I have none, really. Unless you count my S.S.H.G.D. (secondary school honours graduation diploma) and, by the way, most people don't.
   Most of the staff where I work have a DSW diploma, indicating they have graduated from the Developmental Services Worker program. I was in this program at one time, aced the academic part of it, but was unable to do the placement component because I was already working full-time. So I guess that part of my academic career is on hold. Likely forever.
   This has never really bothered me. There is nothing in particular about a DSW behind your name that makes you a good worker. Some of the worst workers I've seen over the years had a DSW and some of the best didn't.
   A credential, from the Latin root, is simply something which lends you credibility. There are lots of things that lend you credibility that have nothing to do with letters after your name or college attendance in your resumé. Things like creativity, energy, thoughtfulness, compassion, introspection, patience and common sense.
   I suppose if the above characteristics lend you credibility then other characteristics might detract from your credibility. These could possibly include laziness, dishonesty, aggression, mean-spiritedness and manipulation.
   If only there was some way of de-valuing a person's credentials based on how well they actually did their job over specified periods of time. I'm sorry Dr.(oops, I meant Mister) Jamieson, but four of your patients have died this week and we really need that "M.D." back! At the same time, wouldn't it be cool if you could somehow acquire credentials through the excellence of your hard work? I can hear it now...Okay, man, you've been doing great for 15 years now, here's your PhD!
   So I realize that you may be potentially incredulous that I am essentially credential-less but, really, I am not having a problem with it. We had some stuff in storage for awhile but then moved it back and as I was sorting the piles of paper this produced I actually ran across my forty-year-old high school graduation diploma. Briefly, I thought I should frame this and hang it on the wall in my office if I ever get one. I may still do that, it could hang there alongside my 1972 Volleyball MVP trophy and all my Grade Eight award patches and, if there was remaining space, I could also add my First Aid re-certification card. At least people would feel safe in my office.
   I was talking to someone a couple of weeks ago who I think was working on her doctorate in musicology. We talked about dissertations and doctorates and theses and the like and agreed that you could spend up to eight years of your life getting a credential. It was not hard to sit there and think of all the good you could do in the world with eight years of a life not being devoted to obtaining a credential of one kind or another.
   You could start by doing one good thing. One good thing generally leads to another. Before you know it there is a mountain of good things on your resumé, you have a valued, self-fulfilling career and life and there is not a credential to be found.
  
  

  
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment