Friday, October 12, 2012

I Am Invisible

There I am....
   Yes, I surely am. Invisible, that is. I am that person whose name you can't remember five minutes after you meet me. I am "the old guy" on the team. I am the guy you spent five hours with at the same table at last year's Xmas party that you don't remember this year. I am the person you don't say goodbye to when you say goodbye to the only other person in the room you're leaving. I am the person who didn't get invited to any of the New Year's Eve parties, not because I wasn't popular but because no-one remembered about me. I am also the person who occasionally doesn't get invited on the family vacation.
   My car has been hit from behind three times in a row, while it was stopped, simply because I am apparently invisible.
   I don't stand out in a crowd, my personality is so low-key that I can't initiate conversations and I never have enough self-confidence to simply introduce myself to strangers and then carry on talking with them. If something truly remarkable happens right in front of us then sometimes I will have something to say. If I am in a meeting I will let everyone voice an opinion and will only venture mine if it doesn't get voiced by someone else first.
   I don't scream and yell (even when I likely should sometimes) and I don't take charge unless there is some dire emergency. I have a sense of humour but I certainly don't tell jokes. I will never ever be the life of the party.
Perhaps I just need to do THIS...
   Just today I was in a staff meeting and the person sitting beside me started talking about me like I wasn't even there and then realized I was sitting right there beside her, being invisible, I guess.
   I will never be bombastic enough that I become instantly engraved on anyone's memory and, really, that's fine with me. For the most part, I don't have a problem wearing my cloak of invisibility. My anonymity is almost like a shield and it is sometimes preferable to not have a bright light shining in my direction.
   So be careful wherever you are, you may think you are alone but there's every possibility that I am only five feet away, quietly passing through your space. If you notice your coffee somewhere different then where you left it a couple of minutes ago, that might have been me.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment