Sunday, September 29, 2013

Man On Fire

   Tomorrow morning, I begin my three week adventure with Efudex cream. My dermatologist, Dr. Horgan-Bell has prescribed this treatment in order to clear up a case of keratosis on my left cheek.
   Keratosis is sun-related skin damage and is often a precursor to actual skin cancer. What Efudex does is destroy the already damaged skin cells so that they can be replaced with healthy ones. Unfortunately, along the way it also will destroy existing healthy cells as part of its "shock and awe" regimen. In its simplest terms, I will be giving myself what will feel like a really, really bad sunburn. As with most sunburns, the dead skin will eventually exfoliate, leaving healthy skin.
My new best friend...sort of.
   Several months ago, during my yearly physical, I spoke to my family doctor about a circular spot on my right calf which had not totally healed from a long course of cream application. He said that he would refer me to a dermatologist but that, due to a shortage of them here in London, it would likely be several months before I heard back. Well, it was several months but I finally got in.
   I had only been referred due to the spot on my leg but I asked her if it might be at all related to the spot on my face. Long story short...she decided to biopsy both and, then, not to take any chances with the spot on my face.
   So here I am.
   I have already run across a couple of blogs dedicated to peoples' adventures with Efudex and I am in the midst of trying to decide whether or not to spend a lot of time documenting my own. Frankly, the descriptions and pictures other people have posted are somewhat difficult to hear about and look at. I am sure that I will be documenting the journey for myself. The only thing I'm not sure of is how much of it to share. What I do know is that someone else sharing their trials and tribulations has helped give me a much better understanding of what might be in store. In return, I imagine it's possible that sharing mine might help someone else. So we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment