Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Bunnies and Buddhas

   In my most recent post, I briefly detailed the lack of success Doralyn and I had had in our quest to find the more or less perfect Buddha for our garden. We had gone to all the most logical places here in London and had found lots of Buddhas of different sizes, shapes and countenances but nothing really that struck our fancy. Even online searches had been unsuccessful.
   As it happened, we were out for breakfast on the last day of our stay up at Oma's trailer, dining at a little place called MacPherson's, right oh Highway 21 as you get near Port Franks. We had finished breakfast there and had decided to take a quick spin through the gift shop attached to the restaurant.
   We checked out a variety of things and were actually starting to head towards the door when I happened to look down. There, at my feet, was a Buddha! Perfect size, perfect face and weatherproof! We couldn't find a price so I went and asked the cashier. She conferred with an older woman behind the counter and I could have sworn I heard the other woman say "$199.99". The younger woman came back to me and said "$109.99". I was a little confused so I repeated that price to her and she confirmed that it was $109.99. I took this back to Doralyn and we agreed that we weren't going to be able to find what we were looking for at a better price and, given our inability to find anything suitable, we kind of jumped at it! So Buddha goes in the trunk and we're off to Oma's trailer to pack up. As I'm flipping the Buddha onto its back so that it would be more stable, I finally notice a small price tag attached to the bottom of it. And it read "$199.99"!
   So I don't know whether we got away with highway robbery there or perhaps the Buddha was simply marked down but it simply seemed like it was meant to be!
Our new Buddha, in its temporary garden spot.

   Today was the first day I had an opportunity to rescue our new Buddha from its temporary spot on our deck and take it down to the garden. As I walked into the backyard to get it, I noticed a small movement in the grass about five feet away. It was a baby bunny.
   This baby bunny has been showing up almost constantly as I've spent more time than normal, working on our backyard. I tend to just leave it alone whenever it shows up and since I've never really harassed it, it's become fairly tame.
   This morning it was just nestled in the clover near our BBQ, munching away. I happened to have my phone with me so took it out and started snapping pictures of it. I'd take a pic, slowly move a step forward, and then take another. I got to about three feet away when it finally hopped off. This is kind of how the relationship works.
Baby bunnies in Brian Baker's backyard!

   At this point, I started paying more attention to the Buddha and took it down to the lower part of our backyard. I found a little bench to set it on, positioned it in a spot in the garden and then stood back to admire.
   As I was standing there, Baby Bunny re-appeared! It was almost as if he (or she) had stopped by to welcome the new addition and I headed off to get my phone for another pic. Unfortunately, by the time I got back Bunny was gone.
   The Buddha will hopefully soon have a permanent and reverential spot in our garden and when that happens  I'll post another pic. And, when Baby Bunny shows up again, maybe I'll have a carrot in my pocket....  
   

1 comment:

  1. Cute. Baby bunny? Adorable. Every home should have a Buddha. I hope it brings you peace, love and gratitude.

    ReplyDelete