Wednesday, May 18, 2016

You WILL Scream About Ice Cream!

      We don't eat a lot of ice cream around here but occasionally we buy it for special occasions (hence the "occasionally") and this past Mother's Day weekend I picked up some Breyers French Vanilla for dessert.
   Now we didn't actually get around to eating any of it but the other day Doralyn spotted me coming upstairs with the tub, planning on a bowl of it for myself. She had one of those omg kind of moments and told me I needed to watch this video while I was eating the ice cream.
   She then proceeded to sit beside me and my bowl and play this video for me. It was a ten minute video of some guy who had discovered that Breyers Family Classic ice cream (the same kind I was eating) does not melt! He had taken a bowl of Breyers and three other bowls of very well-known ice cream and left them all out, uncovered, on his kitchen counter for a couple of hours. The three other bowls of ice cream had become blobs. The Breyers, however, remained essentially unchained, retaining its original shape. 
   The fellow on the video then went on to leave all four bowls out on the counter for a full twenty-four hours. At the end of that time, the Breyers still had neither melted nor even changed shape!
   It gets worse. The man leaves all four bowls out on the counter for a whole week. At the end of this time, the three bowls are still blobby messes but the Breyers has now developed blackish, mouldy spots!
   By this time I had finished my bowl of Breyers but was now trying to figure out a way of un-finishing it, short of sticking my finger down my throat.
   Later, it occurred to me that we now had this unfinished tub of Breyers to dispose of and why not do the same little experiment ourselves? So about 6:oo p.m. last night, I left the uncovered tub out on the counter. This is what it looked like when I set it out....
   
Kinda looks like ice cream, right...?

    And this is how it progressed over the next twenty-four hours....
Kinda still the same , 4 hours later


Very much the same, 24 HOURS LATER!
    Full disclosure here, I lied when I said "ice cream". It's not actually "ice cream", it's a "frozen dessert". If you had sent me to the store and asked me to pick up a "frozen dessert", I'm not sure what I might have come back with but Breyers French Vanilla probably wouldn't have been it...
Safety precaution


Ooops, I said "ice cream", didn't I ?
    I took a pic of the ingredients label. I'm not a scientist so I'm not sure what the offending ingredients are which cause this frozen dessert to not melt. Whatever they are, I imagine ski clubs could use them come summer!
So if you don't want something to melt,
put plenty of THIS  crap in it
    I finally threw out the Breyers today. Because you want to know, it had gone very soft, sort of the consistency of stale Cool Whip. I kind of wanted to stick my finger in it but was afraid something might bite me. Totally unaware of the local by-laws for disposing of bio-hazards, I simply deposited it into the garbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment