Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Man On Fire: Day Ten

   So here I am at Day Ten of the Efudex treatment for sun damage on my face. The clinical name for this type of damage is actinic keratosis (AK). Here is a link to the Skin Cancer Foundation info page if you'd like to sneak a peek. This page also provides all sorts of links to where they talk about prevention, risk factors, treatment, etc.
   The spot on my left cheek is now a deeper red and is somewhat more tender. It feels very similar to a sunburn and, so far, is not too uncomfortable. At this point, however, I am only about half way through the twenty-one day treatment. Dr. Horgan-Bell, who I saw this morning, says that the discomfort will be at its worst at the end of the three weeks. At that point, hopefully, the healing process starts!
Day 10--today
Day 7 (previously posted as
Day 6--my math sucks!)
   Dr. Horgan-Bell also re-iterated that there should be no running, as this would only irritate things. She said I could walk and that was about it. I guess the perspiration is one of the biggest issues. My plan had been to sweet-talk her into letting me run under certain circumstances but she gave me a rather stern look at this point and my resolve kind of just floated away on the air. She also noted that I was self-treating a smaller spot on the other cheek and she didn't have a major problem with that but did suggest that I not go overboard.
Just think a little higher up...
   She also performed a cryotherapy treatment on the spot on my leg. This involves freezing the affected area with liquid nitrogen and then letting it heal naturally. This stung quite a bit while she was doing it but settled quickly
   I am on my own now for a couple of months as I don't see the doctor again until early January. Hopefully she will see a face devoid of the blotchies! You, dear readers, will get to see lots of blotchies over the next couple of weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment