Sunday, October 13, 2013

Man On Fire: A Supportive Wife and A New Hat

   A couple of nights ago, as Doralyn and I were just hunkering down under the covers at bedtime, she finished reading my previous "Man On Fire" post, the "Vampire" one. She got to the part where I was promising faithfully to start wearing a broad-rimmed hat from here on in when I was out in the sun. She kind of grunted and commented, "I'll believe it when I see it."
   In reply, I made some joking comment about how nice it was, having a supportive wife like that.
   To her credit, she then went on to remind me of all the times she had been supportive and had almost begged me to buy and start wearing a different hat. She offered to buy me one many different times when we were out and about and saw them for sale somewhere. She has also reminded me constantly to wear sunscreen.
Doralyn

   It is not without a little bit of history that she is this supportive; eleven years ago, almost to the day of our bedtime conversation, her father passed away from skin cancer. Having to have lived through watching someone you love pass away from the ravages of this particular disease  would only make you that much more wary and vigilant with the rest of your loved ones. As much as she pesters me about the sun, you should hear rag on the boys!
   I have always been blessed with Doralyn's support, in all parts of my life. It matters not whether it's physical or emotional support--she is there, like a rock. Because of this, it is my fervent desire to always be there for her! And all five of our boys!
   And that is why I will be buying a new hat!
  
     

2 comments: