Saturday, October 26, 2013

Man On Fire: My Face Falls Off

   It was a week ago that I stopped applying the Efudex cream. Oddly, my face started to feel less comfortable after I stopped. It became very dry and tight and sore to the touch.
   Then it began to peel.
   It peeled off in little chunks and large pieces. It was not the same kind of skin you end up peeling off after a sunburn, it almost seemed to have a charred steak look to it (very thin charred steak you must understand) and the skin underneath was still quite red-looking.
   I understand that it might take quite a while for normal-looking skin to re-appear---possibly weeks. This doesn't bother me too much, I put up with the already sun-damaged skin for years and am quite prepared to wait a long time for healthy stuff to emerge.
At the end of treatment...
...and a week later--slightly lighter
and you can see where it's been peeling.
   In the meantime, I am back to running and will soon be back to the gym as well. While the treatment was on, I'd been asked by the dermatologist not to do sweaty stuff and I attempted to heed her as much as possible. Hard as that was.
   My follow-up appointment is early in January. I'm hoping that this will have given my face the time it needs and we will go from there!

No comments:

Post a Comment